Social media isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, and Instagram is my favourite place to hang out. A problem I frequently see small business owners struggling with is how to make their feed look cohesive and have a good flow. As a photographer you’re frequently putting together photos to have a flow and a story, so here are my top tips on how to do the same in your feed.
- Choose 1 preset/filter/editing style and stick with it. Also when possible, shoot photos in the same lighting situation(such as harsh light or soft light) so they have the same feel to them.
- Know what your brand colours are and stick with them. If you’re going to transition to something dramatically different in colour, ease into it by introducing photos with a little bit of this colour gradually over a few photos so it doesn’t stand out so much.
- Show a mix of close up and far away, but follow a pattern with it throughout your grid.
- Use a scheduling app such as Plann or Planoly to plan your grid so that you can see how it all goes together before you go to post.
- Know what your niche is and stick with a few topics you post over and over. To create strong branding you need to be instantly recognizable, so pick a few facets of your brand you want to focus on and only show those. If you have other aspects of your business you’d like to incorporate, try posting about them on stories so your followers can still connect with you over them, but your feed remains looking cohesive.